We've set up this space to keep track of this, the biggest project we've put together. We started planning in early March for a Fall wedding, nearly 7 months to plan and pull off this shindig!
We're actually having two-one for family and the other for friends. While both are for people we love we recognize that some things that would be fun for one group, might be less fun for the other group so we split them up! And this means the planning, etc. is double in some aspects. We'll do our best to update here on the entire wedding, each of its aspects and the whole event together.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

DIY

I am a fairly crafty person. I've been known to paint, draw, and do beadwork. I sew quite a bit and used to knit and do needlepoint as well (though I cannot do it comfortably any more). This, coupled with some difficulties finding the sort of things we wanted for wedding purposes, let to a decision to make most of the stuff ourselves. Some I am doing on my own, some we're doing together, and some will be done with the help of others.
We did our invitations ourselves, with pretty paper, some supplies from the scrapbook aisle, and our trusty computer and printer. We are pleased with the way they came out. Also, we just received an email RSVP because the son of a cousin thought the paper was so pretty he hid the RSVP from his parents and they cannot find it to send it back (how cute is that?).
Now we are on to the center pieces. I've tweaked a creation I found on Offbeatbride.com for this. The original design can be found here: http://offbeatbride.com/2009/01/diy-ornament-bouquett.
Originally it was a bouquet but I've changed it around to make center pieces for our tables. This process has been harder than I expected. We've gone through a lot of trial and error, some wrong material, some broken material, and lots of time. I think I have it now and am constructing what I hope will be a good prototype. The problem has been finding the right size ornaments and figuring how to affix them properly. Also, figuring out what we wanted to put them in since nobody's going to hold them. We also toyed with the idea of lights, but can't make it work the way we want. Tomorrow I plan to finish making the prototype and see how we like it.
Pictures will come when I have it.
And now it's time for tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment